Friday, November 10, 2017

Week 5 Story: The Three Little Pigs

Three Little Pigs
Picture by Diane Michaud Lowry
Source: Flickr

Once upon time there lived three little pigs! One was a pinkish white, the other a very pink, and the last was a pretty dark brown. They lived in a really nice barn with the chickens, horses, and even spiders! The barn started to fall apart as time with by, and the the three little pigs had no place to stay once the barn was all gone, so they decided to go on their own adventure to find a new house! The three little piggies were now adult pigs ready to find their new homes.

The first pig was in search of a house made from straws, so he went to find some straw when a nice old man in the woods gave him his pile of straw, and said, “Don’t forget to say no, no by the hair of my chiny chin chin once you are inside your house.”

The little pig walked back the to the other pigs confused. The second  pig wanted a house made from furze, so he came across the same old man, and the man said,  “Don’t forget to say no, no by the hair of my chiny chin chin once you are inside your house.”

Finally, the last pig wanted a house made from bricks. He too went on a search to find some bricks when he came upon the same old man in the woods, and once again the kind old man said, “Don’t forget to say no, no by the hair of my chiny chin chin once you are inside your house.”

As the three little pigs were building their house they were all wondering why the man told all of them the same thing.  Perhaps it was a little riddle he told everyone they thought. Little did they know, this rhyme was going to save them from a big bad wolf. 

Bibliography:  Joseph Jacob's English Fairy Tales: The Story of the Three Little Pigs

Author's Note:  

  This was one of my all time favorite tales to hear and read as a kid. The original story was about an old sow that had these little pigs, and told them to go seek their fortune when she was unable to keep them anymore. The three little pigs went to go build their new homes after that. The man in the story gave them straw. The second man in the story gave one of the pigs furze, and finally the third man in the story gave the last pig bricks. Each time the house was built by the pigs a wolf would knock down the new homes except for the one made from bricks. I changed the story to have one nice man telling the pigs a riddle that will come in handy when the wolf tries to knock down their homes. The riddle is supposed to be magic to save the pigs, but the pigs have no idea about that until they are wanted by a bad wolf.




7 comments:

  1. Hi Dhara! This was a clever retelling of a classic story. I really liked how you showed the build-up to the part of the tale most readers would know. One thing that confused me was your use of the word "furze." I wasn't sure what this was while reading, and when I looked it up, I still wasn't certain why someone would build a house out of it. I think an explanation here, or maybe changing the building material, might be helpful. But otherwise, really lovely job here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dhara! This is a classic story that I am sure everyone knows and it was nice to see your own creative twist on it. I like how the old man gave them a magical saying for them to use whenever the big bad wolf would come. However, I do wish the big bad wolf would have made an appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dhara!
    This is so different than what most children know from what they were read or watched growing up. I am glad you gave details to how the pigs looked. It was a little short for the word count and you could have added more about the wolf to reach it. You could also give a little background on the man who helped the pigs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Dhara!
    This is a really original retelling of The Three Little Pigs. It was kind of cute to read about how confused they were by the old man. I didn't realize until I read your author's note that the phrase was supposed to be magic or the answer to a riddle though. I think it would have been cool to see it in action with at least one of the pigs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Dhara!
    I really like how you made the rhyme magical, to protect the little pigs. This is a wonderful take on the original story. I also like how they were living in a run down barn; that was an added detail that made me more interested in the story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dhara, great story! The three little pigs was also one of my favorite stories as a kid. After reading your take on the story, this might be my new favorite way to tell the story though, or at least add it in as an introduction to the original. Overall, this was really creative, maybe you could have even added the part where the wolf comes in as a story later on. I also really liked how you gave a lot of detail into what the characters looked like. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dhara, I'm glad that you decided to use your own take on such a popular tale. It's always so much fun to see where people take such stories. I liked the sort of introductory feel that you had on this piece. The short descriptions of setting, and the pigs, make it easier for the readers to picture the characters and such in their heads. Good job with your story!

    ReplyDelete

Famous Last Words: Final Thoughts Fall 2017

Finals; Flickr Wow, I can’t believe its finally finals time! I would like to start off by saying this class has ...